Be alert for any government plan that shifts attention from criminal acts to "radical" ideas and "extreme" views on politics and religion. This chills dissent across the political spectrum
'Scholars and government officials have spent countless pages trying to define “terrorism.” They should instead follow Charles Tilly’s definition of political violence:
any observable interaction in the course of which persons or objects are seized or physically damaged in spite of resistance (Tilly 1978, p. 176).
What is often termed “terrorism” is more properly the use or threat of political violence.
A virtue of Tilly’s definition is it acknowledges that state and non-state actors engage in (and threaten) political violence. Unfortunately, many scholars who study “terrorism” explicitly exclude state actions from their definition or they include the potential for state violence and then selectively focus on non-state activists. This is misguided, at best.
From my perspective, “terrorism” is a label used by elites to smear dissenters. For example, The Guardian reports that the Chinese government has referred to the Dalai Lama’s prayers for self-immolating monks as “terrorism in disguise”....'
Political Spying is a Form of Repression
Browse the Government Spying Document Depository
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Guidelines
- Federal Bureau of Investigation General
- Federal Bureau of Investigation - COINTELPRO
- Federal Executive Orders
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Massachusetts Commonwealth Fusion Centers
- Testimony by Leiter on Sept. 30, 2009
- Testimony by Mueller on Sept. 30, 2009
- Testimony by Napolitano on Sept. 30, 2009
New! Information Relating to Counter-Terrorism Training:
Documents from these states:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- U.S. Army
- International Counter-Terrorism Officers Association (ICTOA)
Liberty and Security: Recommendations for the Obama Administration and Congress
[A coalition effort coordinated by the Constitution Project]
Groups With Reliable Resources
The Liberty Coalition
Government Tactics That Suppress Free Speech by Heidi Boghosian